For anyone who has experienced a severe tooth ache, you know it is definitely not fun!… Well it is said that severe tooth ache can be compared to pain of childbirth, only that one births a tooth, right?..
Emergency due to tooth ache are a common occurrence in the dental office. The most common reason for emergencies are usually due to untreated cavity/cavities, that has infected the nerve/pulp tissues.
Usually, a procedure called Root Canal Treatment may be carried out to save the tooth, followed by a crown treatment. Sometimes the decay might be so extensive that the tooth is no more savable by a Root Canal Treatment, and would need to be taken out/extracted.
How do I know I need a Root Canal Treatment?
- You may be feeling a throbbing pain, that may be referred to other parts of the body, causing headache, ear ache, eye ache, etc. The pain may be severe enough to keep you from sleeping.
- You may be feeling sensitivity to cold food/drink from a tooth/teeth
- You may feel a hole in your mouth, which does not cause you pain, but has infected the pulp (diagnosed by the dentist).
Other Causes of Dental Emergencies
- Pain from an impacted wisdom tooth/teeth: This would need to be taken out/extracted.
- Fractured tooth: You may fracture your tooth due to an ongoing untreated decay, trauma, clenching too hard (bruxism), or biting on something, etc. The dentist would have to evaluate what treatment modality would be best for you.
- Trauma/accidental impact on tooth: maybe minor, with only a chip of tooth, or severe with slight or significant tooth mobility, displacement or loss of tooth. Regardless of the extent of the injury, your tooth requires immediate examination by a dentist.
What to do if you lose your tooth/teeth due to trauma/accidental/sport injury
If your teeth are permanent, you should immediately put your tooth in an available solution/medium like milk, saliva, Hank’s solution. Call your dentist. immediately.
At Smile League Dental, we understand how dental pain can significantly affect your day, work and normal activities. We are committed to bringing you in as a walk-in, and helping to alleviate your pain/dental emergency.
No one should suffer from tooth ache!
At Smile League Dental, we have on call Emergency Dentist committed to alleviating your dental pain. Call us now on 815-782-6243. Visit us at smileleaguedental.com for more details