COVID-19 has changed the way we interact with patients. While we hope the pandemic is over in the near future, it is the steps we take today that will make transitioning back to normal life possible.
The virus has reshaped many people’s lives. Dentists must maintain a close distance to patients, offering treatment and making sure our patients have the best experience possible. One change we’ve made – and there are quite a few – is wearing face masks.
Why Wearing a Face Mask is Important for Your Safety and Ours, Too
Health officials are asking people to wear masks, and Illinois Gov. JB. Pritzker is pushing businesses to enforce face mask compliance.  When everyone is wearing them, a mask is one of the easiest ways to limit the spread of the virus.
Covering your nose and mouth will reduce the spread of the virus.
One inadvertent case study in Missouri shows the power of wearing a mask. Two hair stylists were diagnosed with COVID-19. Due to slow test results, clients were exposed for eight days. The salon has a policy requiring both clients and stylists to wear masks.
The CDC interviewed all of the clients and 67  agreed to test for COVID-19. All 67 tested negative for the virus, even though they were near the stylists for 15 to 45 minutes.
A variety of face coverings were worn:
- Surgical masks
- N-95 respirators
While not every one of the clients accepted a test, all of them stated that they did not suffer from any symptoms of illness. Wearing face masks is a simple way to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Face Masks Required at Your Next Appointment
The Illinois Department of Public Health  recommends that if you’re unable to maintain a safe distance of at least six (6) feet from someone – like at our dental office – you should wear a face mask. It’s a quick and easy way to help protect those around you from COVID-19.
We’ve made it mandatory at Smile League Dental that all patients must wear a face mask. If you don’t have a mask, please let one of our staff members know, and we’ll supply you with a free mask at your next visit.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
We’re taking COVID-19 seriously, and when you arrive for your appointment, you can expect a few changes to the way our appointments are handled:
- We require everyone to wear face masks
- We will take your temperature
The only time you’re permitted to remove your mask is:
- During treatment
- When speaking to the dentist
We understand this is a difficult time for our patients, and we’re trying to follow the guidelines laid out by health officials to protect each and every one of our patients.
Schedule Your Next Appointment with Smile League Dental
Don’t let COVID-19 stop you from scheduling your next dental appointment. At Smile League Dental, we put the safety of our patients first. Book an appointment with us today for a free consultation, dental emergency, exam and cleaning or for any of our other services.
- Zalusky, S. (2020, August 09). Gov. Pritzker pushes mask compliance as Illinois announces 1,382 new virus cases. Retrieved August 11, 2020, from https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20200809/gov-pritzker-pushes-mask-compliance-as-illinois-announces-1382-new-virus-cases
- CDC calls on Americans to wear masks to prevent COVID-19 spread. (2020, July 14). Retrieved August 11, 2020, from https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0714-americans-to-wear-masks.html
- Guidance on the Use of Masks by the General Public. (n.d.). Retrieved August 11, 2020, from https://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/community-guidance/mask-use